California Bankruptcy Lawyers Looking Out for You
If you are considering bankruptcy, there are some things you can do to protect yourself and your assets. At Simon Resnik Hayes LLP, we work hard to help our clients make smart decisions when it comes to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Visit our offices in Los Angeles or Sherman Oaks to discuss your situation in a free consultation.
Things You Should Do
- Take your situation seriously — Ignoring your financial trouble will not make it go away. Speak to a Simon Resnik Hayes LLP bankruptcy lawyer about your options as soon as possible.
- Be honest about all your debts and assets — To best serve you, our attorneys need all of your financial information, even if it is embarrassing to you. We can provide a feasible solution in bankruptcy. Keeping us informed will create the best results.
- Continue making payments on vehicles and homes you intend to keep — If you are behind on your payments, your creditors can repossess your property.
Things You Should Not Do
- Withdraw money from your 401k — Generally, this account is exempt in bankruptcy, absent fraud. Further, early withdrawal makes you liable for taxes and penalties that are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
- Buy massive purchases on or take out large cash advances from your credit cards before filing — If the court sees exorbitant purchases or cash advances six months to one year prior to filing, it may consider your petition fraudulent and dismiss your claim. Contact an attorney for accurate answers to any questions or concerns you have.
- Transfer property out of your name — Hiding assets is risky and illegal. Our bankruptcy attorneys can let you know about legal ways to protect your property.
- Take cash advances from one credit card to make payments on another — Once you start juggling credit cards, you are in trouble. Speak with our firm immediately.
- Repay friends or relatives before filing — You cannot treat friends and family preferentially over your creditors.
- Speak with creditors without your bankruptcy attorney present — After you file bankruptcy, your lawyer will communicate with your creditors on your behalf.
- Consider bankruptcy an easy way to get rid of all your debts — Not all debt is discharged in bankruptcy, including certain tax debt, student loans and child support payments.
Free Consultation · Se habla español
For experienced bankruptcy guidance from attorneys who understand your needs, turn to Simon Resnik Hayes LLP. We can help you stop a foreclosure, repossession, garnishment and/or creditor harassment. Call us at 310-598-7365 or 888-368-4099, or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. We proudly serve clients throughout Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Riverside, San Bernardino and Orange Counties.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.